Monday, April 29, 2013

Senioritis

When it hits, it hits hard. For the Aurora High School graduating class of 2013, senioritis has sunk it's claws into our spirit. Even the top of the class, the ones that have always been the front of the pack, has began to drag. With just 16 days left, we're all ready to leave. I only have one class a day, so imagine how much I don't want to be there. I go to band and choir, then I come sit in the guidance office (aka the senior sanctuary) for a class, then I go eat lunch at my grandma's and aide at the museum, before coming back to school for College World Lit and Language. Talk about sucking! It's not a terrible class. I actually really like the discussions we get into, but this multi-genre is killing me slowly.
That's what I should be doing right now. I'm sitting here in my empty block, left behind when I dropped out of College Algebra. I'm supposed to use it as a study hall, but I mostly just use it to play around online. I check Facebook and Twitter every 5-10 minutes, Tumblr is blocked on the school network, my Pandora radios are all perfectly customized, my graduation party has been planned to every little detail, but I'll always find something that needs to be done that isn't my English homework. I like to think it's a senior thing, but it's probably just a me thing.
So what else am I doing to fill my time lately? The musical's over, the party's all planned, the museum only has one or two projects for me to work on (Reading all of the Aurora newspapers from 1905 and 1906 and filing 1,000 probate records. My life rocks.) so that all takes up my time until about 5 o'clock. That still leaves 7-9 hours of my day to fill! Well, I spend a lot of time with my friend Jacob. I watch a lot of Netflix. I hang out at my grandma's. I lay in my room doing absolutely nothing. Sometimes I literally sit in my room and stare at the clock, watching it inch closer to graduation. It's getting pathetic, really. (Side note: only 303 more hours until I walk across the stage!) I feel like at this point, no one should expect anything of me. I took a week off of work right after graduation. I'm going to sleep until noon. Maybe I'll do some laundry. Maybe I'll get caught up on Dr. Who. Maybe I'll get through 5 more generations on Sims 2. But I'm not going to do anything that is vitally important. No papers, no tests, no quizzes, no working, and no schedules. I am going to take a one week vacation and just do nothing.
*flashes forward a few days to when I remembered this forgotten draft*
My mom and I went to Grand Island this afternoon to buy scrapbook stuff for all my pictures. We spent a whole hour in those three isles of Hobby Lobby, talking about all the cool pictures I have. I've reached the point in graduation party planning where I'm trying to figure out how I can use this party to show the world how I view things. I don't want people to just show up, sign the scrapbook, eat some cake, and move on. I want people to learn something about me. Be it learning that I have two different colored eyes, learning how my life has looked through my eyes, or my deep thoughts on nerding out, I want people to learn something. I feel like if there is one thing people take away from meeting me, it's that we should constantly be learning.
Of course, I say this as I avoid doing my English project(s), so what do I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment